Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Set up for forums
Webmaster
Level : 12; EXP : 32
HP : 0 / 283
MP : 58 / 3478
I have been asked to provide instructions for using the NWK web site, in particular the forums, one more time. As a club, we agreed to switch to the forums rather than an email list but apparently there is a need for information on how to get notifications that messages have been posted.

First, you need to register on the NWK site if you have not already done so. Go to nwk.aka.org and click on the link to Register Now! Fill in the boxes for user name, password, and email address. Enter the signature line that you'd like to appear at the end of any messages you post. Check the box to agree to the conditions of use, and fill in the words shown in the reCaptcha anti-spam boxes. Click Submit and you will be taken to a second page for some additional information.

We would like you to tell us your real name. For location, just your town and state will suffice. Choose your time zone, which in most cases will be Pacific time. You can fill out occupation, interest and extra info as you wish (or leave them blank). You can choose whether to allow other users on the NWK site to see your email, or not. For always attach my signature, we suggest that you check Yes. I would prefer that you leave the radio button for receiving occasional messages from admin set to yes. We rarely need to contact you, but it would be nice to be able to do so. For comments display mode, I suggest flat. Do not choose none. For Notification Method for monitoring a forum, I recommend you choose email. A message will be sent to the email address you provided when someone posts a message. That notification will contain a link to the post. If you have a web site, you can put it in the final box.

All of these settings can be changed later by accessing your profile from the User Menu on the left of the page. As I suggest below, those of you already registered may want to review these settings.

Now, to receive notifications when a message is posted to the forums, go to the forums home page by clicking on NWK Forums in the left Main Menu panel. At the bottom of the page, you will see Notification Options. Choose Notify me of any new posts. Note that I have not activated the "with full text" option on the NWK site. There are security reasons for that and, in addition, if someone edits their message, you would only receive the original, not the edited version. At the very bottom of the page, make sure that Notification Method is set to email. For those of you who already registered on the site, it might be set to PM (personal message, which requires you to visit the site to see messages). If so, you can click change to edit your profile. Again, make sure that other parameters are set as I have described above, in particular the Comments Mode. It must be set to something other than None (i.e. flat, nested, threaded).

You should now be set up to receive notification of any messages to the forums. I think you find them very easy to use once you get into them. They have a number of advantages, including the ability to review old messages, follow discussions, embed images, attach files (note the allowed file types) etc.

If you have questions, email me privately.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 8:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]